Sunday, January 01, 2006


One day in November I was rummaging through a box in the barn when I came across a little egg incubator. It isn't much more than a toy really. I bought it a couple of years ago thinking it would make a good homeschool project. We tried it one time with no luck and then it got set aside and forgotten. All the parts were there so after stopping by the chicken pen and picking up a newly laid egg we decided to give this thing another try.

The egg is supposed to be turned numerous times a day -I remembered to do it usually once or twice and some days not at all. The humidity has to be just right - I threw a medicine cup of water in there about every 4 days. The temperature has to stay constant at about 100 degrees F. We had a heck of a time keeping it just right and it fluctuated between 91 and 104!! Needless to say on day 21 when Joshua came running yelling "Mom, the eggs making a noise!" I was in shock. I'd been telling him not to get his hopes up because the chances of this egg hatching were slim to none.

Sure enough the egg was "peeping" and a little hole had appeared on one side which as you can see grew larger as the hours went on. Posted by Picasa

No comments: