Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year!

I don't know where to start; it's been so long since I posted. I was having problems getting pictures to upload so I would shut everything down, thinking I'll try again later.

So here we are the first day of 2013 and I just want to wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year and will attempt to upload some of the pics that I couldn't get to post last time. While I haven't blogged much, there has been quite a lot going on here on the farm.

First, this is Russet our Scottish Blackfaced ram. We found him not too far away. Who would have guessed that there was another SBF breeder so close! We're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll have a bunch of little lambs in March.


You know last year when I said I'd been doing some stone work? Well this is the wall I've been working on: (It's still in progress) Don't forget to click on the pics to see them larger.

Before and after....




The driveway, before...


The beginnings of the wall











Ta Daaa!
 Not finished yet though. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. 

I still can't believe that I managed to find most of the stone just laying around in the pastures. Some came out of the creek bed and some was given to me by a neighbor. He had it left over from a retaining wall he'd had built and just wanted to get rid of the left overs. He still has some more and wants me to go and get it out of his way so I should be able to make more progress in the near future. 


Once it's done, I'm thinking of trying my hand at building a timber-frame lytch gate in the gap between the two walls.

I also finished the other side of the culvert:





So far we haven't had any torrential rains that raised to creek level. That will be the true test of it's integrity! In the past, we've seen the water way higher than the top of the culvert!









3 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

Your wall is amazing! Congratulations - you must feel a great sense of achievement :)

Happy New Year to you and yours - and I look forward to your next blog post . . . :D

Polly said...

Thank you Judy! So nice to "see" you Happy New Year to you too!

I resolve to blog more :)

Michelle Morlan said...

I am so glad I got to see the wall after your describing it. It is just as charming in the pictures as I imagined it would be! You must have so many nice stones to work with.
In our area we would have to buy them and they wouldn't be nice and flat they would be rounded!