Saturday, February 11, 2006

Snow!




And about time too! This is the first real snowstorm of the winter.

We got out the dogsled and hooked up Nanuuk for a bit of mushing. She did very well but I haven't been working her much so we had to go easy on her. Just a couple of runs DOWN hill and we called it a day. It was fun though and she was very proud of herself.

There's not a lot going on here at the moment. My time's taken up mostly with feeding and watering the animals, walking the dogs and homeschooling. Oh and the chickens! What was I thinking when I decided to hatch chickens at this time of the year??!! I was forgetting that this isn't North Carolina. Now we have two of them in the house and it's still too cold to put them outside even in the pigeon loft. I have to clean them out two or three times a day. They're driving me batty. So is hubby. He doesn't have much of a sense of humor about some things! Chickens in the house is one of them. It's supposed to warm up considerably by mid-week so I think I'll put the oldest one 'miracle' out in the loft. It's fully feathered and getting BIG.

I've made absolutely no progress on the knitting. In fact I can't remember the last time I sat in the livingroom for any length of time. As soon as my bum hits the rocking chair I remember something else I should be doing. But, I have managed to do a bit of eraser carving and will post pictures soon. I still need to order some good paper for printing on though.

I was looking at the calendar today and figured out that hubby retires in 70 days!! Just in time to start on the garden! I'm turning the area by the side door into a kitchen garden. It get's full sun all day. I think it will do well there because the deer don't usually come up so close to the house. This is the year we are gong to try to grow a good portion of our food including meat with a view to eventually becoming as self sufficient as possible. So far we have a deer in the freezer and the meat rabbits are bred. Babies are due around March 8th. We'd like to raise a steer for beef but we still need to get the pasture fenced. That's going to be a big job with this rocky soil! Oh well, lots to look forward to. I'm sure it'll all come together slowly but surely. For now we'll just enjoy the snow.


 Posted by Picasa

No comments: