Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Pack Burro Racing



Ooh, if you have an hour to spare, watch this movie! I've been wanting to see it for a long time and  was so pleased to see that it is now available on You Tube! We watched it this weekend.






When you think of Colorado you probably think of snow and skiing. But there'a another sport unique to the state and that's Pack Burro racing! I don't know where I first read about pack burro racing. It involves running long distances with a loaded pack donkey.  The shortest race is about 5 miles and the longest is 30 miles!! Over excruciatingly rough terrain. At 13,000 ft abs!! Some of the racers have been competing every year for over 35 years, the oldest guy is in his 60s and still running 30 miles!

If we lived over that way, me and Rimfire would definitely be in training! I guess we'll have to be content with our own little burro jogs down here on the creek.

And speaking of Rimfire... I backed him for the first time yesterday!! Woohoo! he wasn't in the least bit phased. I've been waiting for this moment for 4 1/2 years!




Ken got on Damascus and she was just as good! 


She may have been ridden before; we just don't know what her background is. She's such a sweet-natured girl. There's a lot of ground work to be done before I can start riding them though.

I can't imagine life without donkeys.













No comments: